overcomeverbuk /ˌəʊ.vəˈkʌm/ us /ˌoʊ.vɚˈkʌm/ (overcame, overcome)
overcome verb (DEAL WITH)
- Their resolute opposition to new working methods was difficult to overcome.
- The plan was designed to help women and minorities overcome discrimination in the workplace.
- He overcame all obstacles in his path to the top.
- What are the prospects for overcoming the strife between the Christian minority and Muslim majority?
- This film reveals their resourcefulness in overcoming appalling weather and treacherous terrain.
overcome verb (UNABLE TO ACT)
- be a drag on sb/sth idiom
- block sth out
- hold out on sb
- hold sb/sth back
- hold/keep sb/sth at bay idiom
- holding pattern
- prevention is better than cure idiom
- pull the rug from under sb's feet idiom