permitverbuk /pəˈmɪt/ us /pɚ-/ (-tt-)
- Entry to the club is only permitted on production of a membership card.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in this theatre.
- Some prisoners who want to start a family are to be permitted conjugal visits.
- Machine-readable passports will permit precise identity-checking.
- How can a loving, omnipotent God permit disease, war and suffering?
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
permitnoun [C]uk /ˈpɜː.mɪt/ us /ˈpɝː-/
- I pay £5 a week for my parking permit.
- The office will be issuing permits on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- Please turn your old parking permits in at the end of the week.
- You'll need a special permit if you want to use the facilities regularly.
- You will have to apply to City Hall for a building permit.