pile noun (AMOUNT)
a pile of sth/piles of sth
› informal a lot of something:
I've got piles/a pile of things to do today.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
pile noun (COLUMN)
pile noun (SURFACE)
pile noun (BUILDING)
pile verb (OBJECTS)
Snow had piled up against the walls.
- The saucepans clashed as he piled them into the sink.
- She had a most elaborate hairdo, all piled up on top of her head.
- In the village market, the stalls are piled high with local vegetables.
- The logs were neatly piled against the wall.
- Knowing he had a good appetite, she passed him a plate piled high with mashed potato.