play sth up
— phrasal verb with play us uk /pleɪ/ verb
- It's said that he plays up his working class background in order to broaden his appeal.
- It would be wise to play up your strengths rather than draw attention to your weaknesses.
- She made herself out to be a real do-gooder, playing up her connection with aid organizations.
- The programme played up the positive benefits of the drug without giving a really honest account of the drawbacks.
- The fact that he was a war veteran was really played up in the election campaign.