politiciannoun [ C ]uk /ˌpɒl.ɪˈtɪʃ.ən/ us /ˌpɑː.ləˈtɪʃ.ən/
- She believed her job as a politician was to represent the views of her party and the people who voted for her.
- Several politicians were accused of dispensing favours to people who voted for them.
- The media focus on politicians' private lives inevitably switches the attention away from the real issues.
- McCarthyism is named after the American politician Joseph McCarthy, who in the 1950s accused many Americans of being Communists.
- He was an effective enough politician, but he had no ambition to become party leader.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words