preliminaryadjective [ before noun ]uk /prɪˈlɪm.ɪ.nər.i/ us /prɪˈlɪm.ə.ner.i/
Preliminary results show that the vaccine is effective, but this has to be confirmed by further medical trials.
- The preliminary results are very positive.
- Our preliminary findings suggest an increased risk for those aged over 60.
- Jackson is peforming well in the preliminary stages of the competition.
- The two officials will be meeting today in order to establish a preliminary agreement.
- I'd like to make a few preliminary remarks before we begin the discussion.