prescription noun (MEDICINE)
a doctor's prescription
a prescription for sedatives
The doctor should give you a repeat prescription (= another piece of paper allowing more of the same medicine to be given, often without the person seeing the doctor again).
- improper prescription of medicines
- I was given the wrong tablets when the chemist misread my prescription.
- I got a prescription for some stronger painkillers.
- I must take that prescription to the chemist.
- When I bought my new glasses, they threw in a free pair of prescription sunglasses.