presidentnoun [C]uk /ˈprez.ɪ.dənt/ us /ˈprez.ɪ.dənt/
president noun [C] (POLITICS)
- Boris Yeltsin was Russia's first democratically elected president.
- The former president has agreed to act as an intermediary between the government and the rebels.
- The country's president is seeking to mend relations with the United States.
- Several opposition groups are fighting to remove the president from power.
- She is Ireland's first woman president.
president noun [C] (ORGANIZATION)
- He was president of the charity for ten years.
- The new president of the company called a top-level management meeting.
- The president of my bank has been named Businessperson of the Year.
- She told me that her father is the president of a multinational corporation.
- There was a top-level meeting of oil company presidents today to discuss the crisis.
- There is a furious struggle going on between the two presidential candidates.
- Thousands of people lined the streets to watch the presidential procession pass by.
- Another candidate has now entered the presidential race .
- Six candidates are currently vying for the Democratic presidential nomination.
- Congress has rejected the recent presidential proposal on firearms.