presume verb (BELIEVE)
[ + speech ] You are Dr Smith, I presume?
- You were sniffing a lot - I presumed you had a cold.
- She said it in a whisper so I presumed it wasn't common knowledge.
- "Is he coming?" "I presume so."
- Under the Bill of Rights, a person is presumed innocent until proved otherwise.
- A person accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
presume verb (BE RUDE)
[ + to infinitive ] I wouldn't presume to tell you how to do your job, but shouldn't this piece go there?
I don't wish to presume (= make a suggestion although I have no right to), but don't you think you should apologize to her?