preventverb [T]uk /prɪˈvent/ us /prɪˈvent/
- The police seem to be powerless to prevent these attacks.
- She would go over the accident again and again in her mind, wishing that she could somehow have prevented it.
- A block in the pipe was preventing the water from coming through.
- Fierce winds prevented the race from taking place.
- The law has done little to prevent racial discrimination and inequality.
- be a drag on sb/sth idiom
- block sth out
- hold out on sb
- hold sb/sth back
- hold/keep sb/sth at bay idiom
- holding pattern
- prevention is better than cure idiom
- pull the rug from under sb's feet idiom