principaladjective [ before noun ]uk /ˈprɪn.sə.pəl/ us /ˈprɪn.sə.pəl/
He was principal dancer at the Dance Theatre of Harlem.
- The principal aim of this meeting is to reach a decision that we all agree on.
- The diaphragm is the principal muscle of respiration.
- I would like to earn more, but this isn't my principal reason for leaving the job.
- He can't give up teaching, it's his principal source of income.
- This is the principal road between the two cities.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words