problemnoun [ C ]uk /ˈprɒb.ləm/ us /ˈprɑː.bləm/
I'm having problems with my computer.
[ + -ing verb ] Did you have any problems (= difficulties) getting here?
- Traffic congestion in large cities seems to be an insoluble problem.
- Her only problem is lack of confidence.
- I've had continual problems with this car ever since I bought it.
- Tiredness, loss of appetite and sleeping problems are all classic symptoms of depression.
- Desperate measures are needed to deal with the growing drug problem.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- a (heavy) cross to bear idiom
- a bitter pill (to swallow) idiom
- a hard/tough nut to crack idiom
- hot potato
- the chill wind of sth idiom
- the hard way idiom
- the sharp end
- the/a devil of a sth idiom
- thorn in your flesh/side idiom