protectionnoun [ U ]uk /prəˈtek.ʃən/ us /prəˈtek.ʃən/
› informal for protection money
Did you use any protection?
- The hut afforded little protection from the elements.
- Zoos fulfil an important function in the protection of rare species.
- The protection of the environment must be our first priority today.
- It's a wilderness area, under the protection of the Parks Department.
- The key witness for the prosecution was offered police protection after she received death threats.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words