pupilnoun [ C ]uk /ˈpjuː.pəl/ us /ˈpjuː.pəl/
pupil noun [ C ] (STUDENT)
a second-year pupil
a primary-school pupil
The school has over 400 pupils.
- The stupid behaviour of one pupil has brought discredit on the whole school.
- All pupils are expected to attend school assembly.
- The government has pooh-poohed the idea that primary schools will begin to select pupils.
- The vast majority of pupils attend state-funded schools.
- The artist himself did not paint the backgrounds to his pictures - they were done by his pupils.