rail noun (TRAINS)
- An inquiry was ordered into the recent rail disaster.
- Government sources estimate a long-term 50% increase in rail fares.
- The rail system is to put 20 million pounds into its modernization programme.
- The question is whether road transit is cheaper than rail.
- The resort is easily accessible by road, rail and air.
rail noun (BAR)
Hold onto the rail so that you don't fall.
- The bathroom has a heated towel rail.
- I watched an old woman pull herself up the stairs, holding on to a rail.
- They leaned over the rails and peered down into the dizzying chasm below.
- The rails were full of expensive clothes.
- We have a heated towel rail in our bathroom.