receiveverb [ T ]uk /rɪˈsiːv/ us /rɪˈsiːv/
receive verb [ T ] (GET)
A2 to get or be given something:
Did you receive my letter?
- Members all receive a free copy of the monthly newsletter.
- Tomorrow the children will receive their anxiously awaited presents.
- One aggrieved customer complained that he still hadn't received the book he had ordered several weeks ago.
- The orchestra receives £2 million a year in sponsorship from various companies.
- The planet Jupiter radiates twice as much heat from inside as it receives from the Sun.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
receive verb [ T ] (WELCOME)