relate to sth
— phrasal verb with relate uk /rɪˈleɪt/ us /rɪˈleɪt/ verb [ T ]
- Why doesn't she want to go on holiday? I can't relate to that.
- I can relate to your problems. I had difficulty finding somewhere to live when I first moved here.
- Things have changed so much since she started working here, that she has difficulty relating to the experiences of younger colleagues.
- Audiences are encouraged to empathize with the characters and try to relate to the situations in which they are portrayed.
- I can't relate to your experiences at school, they sound so different to my own.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words