replyverb [ I ]uk /rɪˈplaɪ/ us /rɪˈplaɪ/
B1 to answer:
[ + that ] I replied that it was twelve o'clock.
- Since they refuse to reply, I think we've won the argument by default.
- He was angry but managed, with great self-restraint, to reply calmly.
- Do you think it's significant that he hasn't replied to my letter yet?
- Six people have confirmed that they will be attending and ten haven't replied yet.
- The bank was expeditious in replying to my letter.
replynoun [ C or U ]uk /rɪˈplaɪ/ us /rɪˈplaɪ/
B1 an answer:
I asked why, but he made/gave no reply.