resignverb [ I or T ]uk /rɪˈzaɪn/ us /rɪˈzaɪn/
She resigned as director.
She resigned the directorship.
After she had taken my rook, there was nothing I could really do except resign.
- It's only a matter of time before he's forced to resign.
- As the company's financial problems worsened, several directors resigned.
- He resigned from a high-profile job as economic adviser to the prime minister.
- The statement excited new speculation that a senior minister may be about to resign.
- In a television interview last night she denied she had any intention of resigning.