rolenoun [ C ]uk /rəʊl/ us /roʊl/
role noun [ C ] (DUTY)
What is his role in this project?
- Your role in the project will be strictly defined.
- The role of the police is to ensure (that) the law is obeyed.
- Television has an important role to play in popularizing new scientific ideas.
- The government should be playing a more prominent role in promoting human rights.
- The kidney plays a vital role in the removal of waste products from the blood.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
role noun [ C ] (ACTING)
- She quickly left the chorus for a starring role.
- She's done all the important Shakespearean roles apart from Lady Macbeth.
- Marlene Dietrich was immortalized through her roles in movies like 'The Blue Angel'.
- The six principal roles in this opera have an average vocal range of two octaves.
- In despair, the theatre director recast the leading role.