scareverb [ I or T ]uk /skeər/ us /sker/
Sudden noises scare her.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- chill sb to the bone/marrow idiom
- make your flesh crawl/creep idiom
- put the fear of God into you idiom
- put/get the wind up sb idiom
- send chills down/up sb's spine idiom
- send shivers down/up sb's spine idiom
- send shudders/a shudder down your spine idiom
- shiver (up and) down your spine idiom
The government are accused of employing scare tactics (= ways of frightening people in order to persuade them to do something).