sectornoun [ C ]uk /ˈsek.tər/ us /ˈsek.tɚ/
sector noun [ C ] (ECONOMIC AREA)
- Salaries in the public sector are expected to fall by 15% this year.
- Many scientists working for the government have left for the private sector.
- The finance for the project will come from both the government and the private sector .
- Much of the workforce in the banking sector is affected by the new legislation.
- There is a trend towards healthier eating among all sectors of the population.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words