sergeantnoun [C](also Sergeant) uk /ˈsɑː.dʒənt/ us /ˈsɑːr-/ (written abbreviation Sgt, informal sarge)
sergeant noun [C] (SOLDIER)
- We could hear the sergeant bellowing commands to his troops.
- The captain was demoted to sergeant for failing to fulfil his duties.
- The sergeant barked out a succession of orders to the new recruits.
- The sergeant was reduced to the ranks for his cowardice.
- By the age of 25 he'd already got his third stripe and become a sergeant.
sergeant noun [C] (POLICE OFFICER)