sergeantnoun [ C ]also Sergeant uk /ˈsɑː.dʒənt/ us /ˈsɑːr.dʒənt/ written abbreviation Sgt, informal sarge
sergeant noun [ C ] (SOLDIER)
Sergeant Lewis/Tom Lewis
[ as form of address ] Dismiss the men, Sergeant.
- We could hear the sergeant bellowing commands to his troops.
- The captain was demoted to sergeant for failing to fulfil his duties.
- The sergeant barked out a succession of orders to the new recruits.
- The sergeant was reduced to the ranks for his cowardice.
- By the age of 25 he'd already got his third stripe and become a sergeant.