severeadjectiveuk /sɪˈvɪər/ us /-ˈvɪr/
severe adjective (VERY SERIOUS)
- They confessed, but only under severe constraint.
- The latest trade figures have dealt a severe blow to hopes of an early economic recovery.
- The stock market crash marked the start of a severe depression.
- This year a severe drought has ruined the crops.
- In cases of severe mental handicap, constant supervision is recommended.
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
severe adjective (NOT KIND)
severe adjective (PLAIN)