shut (sth) down
— phrasal verb with shut uk /ʃʌt/ us /ʃʌt/ verb [ I or T ] present participle shutting, past tense and past participle shut
- Both chemical factories were shut down for safety reasons.
- Three thousand people will lose their jobs if the factory shuts down.
- They've shut down the old biscuit factory.
- All those sweet old-fashioned shops have shut down.
- They had to shut down one of the engines.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: