socialadjectiveuk /ˈsəʊ.ʃəl/ us /ˈsoʊ.ʃəl/
social adjective (GOING OUT)
- Susannah's party was the social event of the year.
- I see her two or three times a year, usually at social functions.
- One of the minus points of working at home is not having social contact with colleagues.
- Whenever I'm in a social situation with my boss, we seem to run out of conversation after two minutes!
- a social gathering
social adjective (SOCIETY)
- There have been monumental social and demographic changes in the country.
- People's voting habits are influenced by political, social and economic factors.
- The government have failed to come to grips with the two most important social issues of our time.
- Some monkeys have a very complex social hierarchy.
- Overpopulation is one of the country's most pressing social problems.