space noun (EMPTY PLACE)
I need to make (some) space for Mark's things.
in/within a short space of time
in/within the space of six weeks, three hours, etc.
- Is there plenty of cupboard space in your new house?
- The museum is planning to increase the amount of space allotted to modern art.
- A great number of trees were felled to provide space for grazing.
- My car's too big to fit in this space.
- There's barely enough floor space to fit a bed in this room.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
space noun (BEYOND EARTH)
a space rocket
Who was the first human being in space/the first to go into space?
- The film was about creatures from outer space.
- The music represents the immensities of space.
- Once in space, the spacecraft will go into orbit around Earth.
- They filmed a rocket propelled through space.
- This is a joint program bankrolled by the U.S. space agency.