speculationnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˌspek.jəˈleɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌspek.jəˈleɪ.ʃən/
speculation noun [ C or U ] (GUESS)
- He had tried to damp down speculation about the state of his marriage.
- Her resignation ends months of speculation about her future.
- The statement excited new speculation that a senior minister may be about to resign.
- The prime minister's speech fuelled speculation that she is about to resign.
- The minister dismissed the newspaper reports as pure speculation.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words