spell verb (FORM WORDS)
How do you spell receive?
Shakespeare did not always spell his own name the same way.
Our address is 1520 Main Street, Albuquerque. Shall I spell that (out) (= say in the correct order the letters that form the word) for you?
- Could you spell your name again, please?
- Some words are more difficult to spell than others.
- Does she spell her name with a C or with a K?
- She always spells my name wrong.
- He even spelled his own client's name wrongly.
spell verb (RESULT)
spell verb (DO INSTEAD)
spellnoun [ C ]uk /spel/ us /spel/
spell noun [ C ] (PERIOD)
I lived in Cairo for a spell.
- In this current cold spell, many old people are dying needlessly of hypothermia.
- It looks as if we are in for a settled spell this week.
- After a brief spell in the army, he started working as a teacher.
- He had a brief spell in the army.
- She had a couple of spells in a mental hospital.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: