stay verb (NOT LEAVE)
- Can you stay a bit longer?
- It was cold and wet outside so we stayed at home.
- You can stay here if you like.
- Stay and have a drink with us.
- I'm afraid I can't stay.
stay verb (CONTINUE)
- She manages to stay cheerful despite everything.
- Many small businesses are struggling to stay afloat.
- Biscuits will stay crisp if you keep them in an airtight container.
- This is so boring, it's all I can do to stay awake.
- Her proposals would allow more people to stay in full-time education.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
stay verb (LIVE)
They said they'd stay at/in a hotel.
stay overnight also stay the night
I still stay with my parents.
- I stayed in a marvellous clifftop hotel.
- We stayed in a fancy hotel near the Champs-Élysées.
- We stayed on one of the lesser-known Greek islands.
- The farmhouse we stayed in was completely off the beaten track.
- They stayed with us for a short time.