substantialadjectiveuk /səbˈstæn.ʃəl/ us /səbˈstæn.ʃəl/
substantial adjective (LARGE)
- a substantial chunk of our profits
- The police have been ordered to pay substantial damages to the families of the two dead boys.
- The Green Party have called for a substantial reduction in the emission of greenhouse gases by the UK.
- All the evidence points to a substantial rise in traffic over the next few years.
- There will be substantial job losses if the factory closes down.
substantial adjective (GENERAL)