- I could detect subtle variances in fragrance as we strolled through the garden.
- Her conversation sparkled with her own subtle blend of wit and charm.
- The film's direction is subtle and stylish.
- The gradation in tempo in this piece of music is very subtle.
- The directors managed to secure a good deal for the company with a bit of subtle manoeuvring.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /ˈsʌt.əl.i/ us /ˈsʌt̬.əl.i/
- His expression changed subtly.
- The lyrics have been subtly altered.
- He subtly implied that she hadn't been happy at work.
- Her appearance had changed, subtly but perceptibly.
- If you're more subtly sexy you're still noticed but in a different way.