swellverbuk /swel/ us /swel/ (swelled, swollen or swelled)
- My foot swelled up to three times the normal size when it was stung by a wasp.
- Excessive moisture will cause the wood to swell.
- Tourists swell the local population during the summer months.
- My arm swelled up where I was stung by a bee.
- The banks of the river were swollen with the increased rainfall.
swellnoun [S]uk /swel/ us /swel/
swell noun [S] (WAVES)
swell noun [S] (SOUND)
swelladjectiveuk /swel/ us /swel/ US old-fashioned informal
swelladverbuk /swel/ us /swel/ US old-fashioned informal