sympathetic adjective (UNDERSTANDING)
She just needed someone who would lend a sympathetic ear to her (= listen to her in a kind and understanding way) once in a while.
- You'd think his children would be more sympathetic towards him after all he's gone through .
- She tried to use a sympathetic tone of voice.
- Never having been ill himself, he wasn't a sympathetic listener.
- I tried to tell her about the awful day I'd had, but she wasn't very sympathetic.
- Claire's always one to lend a sympathetic ear if you have problems.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
sympathetic adjective (SUPPORT)
adverb uk /ˌsɪm.pəˈθet.ɪ.kəl.i/ us /ˌsɪm.pəˈθet̬.ɪ.kəl.i/