telephonenoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈtel.ɪ.fəʊn/ us /ˈtel.ə.foʊn/
A2 a phone noun
- She spends hours and hours on the telephone.
- She hurried to answer the telephone.
- I like to have a telephone at my bedside.
- He sounded very depressed when we spoke on the telephone yesterday.
- I was just getting into the bath when the telephone rang.
telephoneverb [ I or T ]uk /ˈtel.ɪ.fəʊn/ us /ˈtel.ə.foʊn/
A2 to use a phone
- I decided to telephone the doctor.
- She telephoned all the major donors to ask for more cash.
- He telephoned her regularly with news from Cyprus.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words