tell verb (SPEAK)
tell tales disapproving
to tell (you) the truth
tell verb (KNOW)
"He's Dutch." "How can you tell?"
tell the difference
tell sb's fortune also tell fortunes
tell the time UK US tell time
there is no telling
you never can tell B2 also you can never tell
- I could tell from her expression that something serious had happened.
- You can tell it's autumn because the leaves have started to fall.
- Who can tell what the future holds?
- Can you tell the the difference between poisonous mushrooms and edible varieties?
- I could tell he was really upset, though he tried not to show it.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
tell verb (HAVE AN EFFECT)
Say or tell?Say and tell are irregular verbs. The past simple of say is said, the past simple of tell is told: …
Say and tell with objectsBoth say and tell take a direct object. The object is most commonly the reported clause (the report of what someone said). …