termnounuk /tɜːm/ us /tɝːm/
term noun (TIME)
term noun (DESCRIPTION)
- "Speed bump" now seems to be the generally accepted term for those ridges in the road that slow traffic down.
- Some people think that "fireman" is a sexist term, and prefer the politically correct term "firefighter".
- The terms "drinking problem" and "alcohol abuse" are often interchangeable.
- There is a useful glossary of technical terms at the back of the book.
- "Idiot!" is a mild term of abuse.
term noun (RULES)
- They could take legal action against you if you break the terms of the contract.
- Both sides in the conflict have agreed to the terms of the peace treaty.
- They have broken the terms of the agreement on human rights.
- The UN will dictate the terms of troop withdrawal from the region.
- We'll hold him to the exact terms of the contract.
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: