(all) by themselves
- The troops had camouflaged themselves so effectively that the enemy didn't notice them approaching.
- When babies first learn to stand, they hold on to something to support themselves .
- Did the children behave themselves?
- The children have to learn to tidy up after themselves .
- Many borrowers now find themselves caught in a precarious financial position.
Pronouns: reflexive (myself, themselves, etc.)Reflexive pronouns end in -self or -selves. They refer back to the subject forms of personal pronouns (underlined in the example below): …
Reflexive pronouns for same subject and objectWe often use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of the verb refer to the same person or thing: …
Reflexive pronouns + by meaning aloneWe often use reflexive pronouns with by to mean ‘alone’ or ‘without any help’: …