theorynoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈθɪə.ri/ us /ˈθɪr.i/
Darwin's theory of evolution
- It was Ptolemy who propounded the theory that the earth was at the centre of the universe.
- This new evidence lends support to the theory that she was murdered.
- This research seems to give some validity to the theory that the drug might cause cancer.
- In Jungian theory, there are certain archetypes of human personality.
- In theory, women can still have children at the age of 50.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words