threatnoun [ C ]uk /θret/ us /θret/
[ + to infinitive ] Her parents carried out their threat to take away her mobile phone if her grades didn't improve.
be under threat of sth
- Nuclear weapons pose a threat to everyone.
- The police have to take any terrorist threat seriously.
- It is hoped that the kidnappers will not carry out their threat to kill the hostages.
- Three main line railway stations were closed because of bomb threats.
- The key witness for the prosecution was offered police protection after she received death threats.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: