tombnoun [ C ]uk /tuːm/ us /tuːm/
- The tomb was honeycombed with passages and chambers.
- For centuries the tomb lay inviolate until, by chance, it was discovered by two miners.
- His tomb was covered with a yellow patina of lichen.
- When they opened up the tomb they found treasure beyond their wildest dreams.
Examples from literature
- Archaeologists learned that some people kept cats just so they could kill them and bury them in tombs.
- Inside the tomb, scientists found a lot of gold.
- Many of the tombs are falling apart.
- The archaeologist studies treasures found in tombs.
- The message said that anyone who enters the king’s tomb will die.
- The pyramids in Egypt are really the tombs of ancient pharaohs.
- These tombs for the dead are more expensive than the houses of the living.
- They found a mummy in the tomb.
- Things like fine cloth, coffins, and tombs were also expensive.
- When one of them died, they built a special tomb – a pyramid.