tournamentnoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʊə.nə.mənt/ /ˈtɔː.nə.mənt/ us /ˈtɝː.nə.mənt/ /ˈtʊr.nə.mənt/
They were defeated in the first round of the tournament.
- Our ambitions for this tournament have been defeated by the weather.
- The defending champion will play her first match of the tournament tomorrow.
- This tennis tournament is open to both amateurs and professionals.
- A recurring knee injury may have impaired his chances of winning the tournament.
- The tournament is a straight knockout.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words