traditionnoun [ C or U ]uk /trəˈdɪʃ.ən/ us /trəˈdɪʃ.ən/
[ + that ] There's a tradition in our office that when it's somebody's birthday, they bring in a cake for all of us to share.
- This college has a long tradition of athletic excellence.
- In keeping with tradition, they always have turkey on Christmas Day.
- The old people in the village still observe the local traditions.
- This tradition dates back to medieval times.
- Daphne is carrying on the family tradition by becoming a lawyer.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words