tunnelnoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʌn.əl/ us /ˈtʌn.əl/
The train went into the tunnel.
- The tunnel was dug with the aid of heavy machinery.
- Ten miners were trapped underground when the roof of the tunnel fell in.
- The road goes over the mountains, not through a tunnel.
- It is not practicable to complete the tunnel before the end of the year.
- A tunnel entrance was found within the precincts of the prison camp.
tunnelverb [ I or T ]uk /ˈtʌn.əl/ us /ˈtʌn.əl/ -ll- or US usually -l-
noun [ C ] UK US tunneler uk /ˈtʌn.əl.ər/ us /ˈtʌn.əl.ɚ/