underlyingadjective [before noun]uk /ˌʌn.dəˈlaɪ.ɪŋ/ us /-dɚ-/
underlying adjective [before noun] (NOT OBVIOUS)
- On the surface it's a very funny novel but it does have a more serious underlying theme.
- The underlying message of the film is that love transcends everything else.
- We need to tackle the underlying causes of poverty and suffering.
- It is important to look at all the underlying causes of the conflict.
- An underlying pessimism infuses all her novels.
underlying adjective [before noun] (BASED ON)
- a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do idiom
- be a question of doing sth idiom
- if/when push comes to shove idiom
- on a need-to-know basis idiom