understandverbuk /ˌʌn.dəˈstænd/ us /-dɚ-/ (understood, understood)
understand verb (KNOW)
- He explained it as simply as he could, but the class still didn't understand.
- The plot of the film was too involved - I couldn't understand it.
- She started gabbling away at me in Spanish and I didn't understand a word.
- If there's anything you don't understand, I'll be happy to explain.
- You should make certain that everyone understands the instructions.
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
understand verb (REALIZE)
- I don't think you quite understand the severity of our financial problems.
- I understand the rent is fixed at £750 a month.
- I understand how you feel, but you really must keep trying.
- It can help to talk to someone who is suffering the same problems and who understands what it's like.
- It is hard for the able-bodied to understand the difficulties that disabled people encounter in their daily lives.