understandingnounuk /ˌʌn.dəˈstæn.dɪŋ/ us /ˌʌn.dɚˈstæn.dɪŋ/
understanding noun (KNOWLEDGE)
- It certainly helped to deepen my understanding of the situation.
- His answer demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the question.
- Some understanding of grammar is fundamental to learning a language.
- You need to demonstrate to the examiners that you have more than a literal understanding of the text.
- Academics sitting in ivory towers have no understanding of what is important for ordinary people.
understanding noun (SYMPATHY)
understanding noun (AGREEMENT)
understandingadjectiveuk /ˌʌn.dəˈstæn.dɪŋ/ us /ˌʌn.dɚˈstæn.dɪŋ/ approving