unfortunateadjectiveuk /ʌnˈfɔː.tʃən.ət/ us /ʌnˈfɔːr.tʃən.ət/
unfortunate adjective (UNLUCKY)
- There's nothing anybody can do about it, it's just unfortunate that this had to happen now.
- It was a very unfortunate accident/incident.
- It's unfortunate that his parents can't be there to see him perform.
- She has a very unfortunate resemblance to her rather unattractive mother.
- It's unfortunate that he seems to have inherited his father's poor vision.
unfortunate adjective (NOT SUITABLE)
unfortunatenoun [C]uk /ʌnˈfɔː.tʃən.ət/ us /ʌnˈfɔːr.tʃən.ət/ formal or humorous