union noun (JOINING)
- The signing of the treaty marked a major milestone on the road to European union.
- The two countries are holding a summit to discuss economic and monetary union.
union noun (WORKERS)
- Management are having discussions with the union about possible redundancies.
- The car workers' union is demanding a 7% pay rise this year.
- Her debating skills were honed in the students' union.
- The union decided to ballot its members on the issue .
- The union safeguards the interests of all its members.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words