unit noun (SEPARATE PART)
a waste-disposal unit
- The company announced plans to increase production to 10 000 units per month.
- The coursework is divided into three units, and you are expected to complete Unit 1 this term.
- I'd love to replace my old kitchen units - can you tell me the price of this particular drawer unit?
- It would be better if products like crisps showed how much salt they contain per unit, not per 100 g.
- If one carton contains 12 units, then you'd better order 10 cartons.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
unit noun (PEOPLE)
Both soldiers spent two weeks in training before being allowed to rejoin their unit (= the particular part of the army to which they belonged).
Dr Nussbaum is director of the Civil Liberties Research Unit at King's College, London.